Date(s) - 09/17/2022
8:30 am - 10:00 am
Towne Bank University
6009 Harbour View Blvd.
Suffolk, VA 23435
The Chas Foundation Run/Walk
This year’s 5k Run/Walk event to support mental health care in Hampton Roads is sure to be bigger and better than ever.
A charity fundraiser event now in its 8th year benefiting local initiatives to improve delivery of mental health care in the Hampton Roads area. The race is a certified fast out and back course through the scenic Harbour View area of Suffolk that runs along side a golf course and passes several beautiful lakes.
- The top 3 finishes in each 10-year age bracket (starting at age 10 & up to age 80) will receive Running Etc gift cards & a medal.
- Overall male & female winners & Masters male & female winners who have not broken the course record will receive a $50 cash prize & a $50 Running Etc gift card with a race medal.
- New course record (male-16:24, female-18:19, Masters Male-16:45, Masters female-19:35) will receive a $200 cash award & $50 Running Etc gift card with a race medal.
- Great race swag for each registrant.
- The first 300 registrants will receive a long sleeve tech shirt and custom socks.
This race is for everyone from elite runners to walkers. The CHAS Foundation will have members and material on site to explain how we are improving local mental health care with your support. Coffee and donuts will be served after the race!
Packet pick up:
Friday September 16th 3:15 to 6:00pm,
1707 Colley Ave., Norfolk, VA 23517
Dr. Mark Lawson’s Story: I have had many challenges in my life as a Naval Officer and physician but my greatest challenge was in trying to help my beautiful daughter cope with mental health issues. I was shocked how difficult it was in Tidewater to receive timely, adequate mental health care even as a member of the medical community. My daughter’s needs progressively escalated with much of the burden of caring for her mental illness falling on the family.
The anxiety and worry was crushing at times as we searched for the resources to help her get better. Even having excellent health insurance was of little help in getting the resources she needed. We lost this beautiful young lady on January 23, 2013 and have dedicated ourselves to the advancement of effective mental health care and improved mental health resources for patients and families in Tidewater. Being an avid runner, I though putting on a charity race to raise funds for this cause was in order. Out of this personal loss has come The Chas Foundation 8K Run and 5K Walk/Run. 100% of funds raised will go to supporting The Chas Foundation and improved mental health care in Hampton Roads.
On October 18, 2015, the Chas Foundation held their inaugural 8K Walk/Run in Suffolk. The opportunity to broaden the organization to other municipalities was a key factor as well as partnering with a major nonprofit health organization, Bon Secours. Board Member, Dr. Mark Lawson spearheaded this effort.