Date(s) - 09/16/2023
8:30 am - 10:00 am
Towne Bank University
6009 Harbour View Blvd.
Suffolk, VA 23435
The CHAS Foundation 5K Run and 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk
This year’s 5k Run/Walk event to support mental health care in Hampton Roads is sure to be bigger and better than ever.
A charity fundraiser event, the CHAS Foundation 5K Run and 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk is now in its 9th year, benefiting local initiatives to improve delivery of mental health care in the Hampton Roads area. The race is a certified fast out and back course through the scenic Harbour View area of Suffolk that runs along side a golf course and passes several beautiful lakes.
- 5K – New course record (male 16:24, female 18:04:48, Masters male 16:30:54, Masters female 19:35) will receive $300 cash award with the race medal.
- Anyone breaking the Virginia state outdoor 5K record 13:54 Male or 15:46 female will receive $500.
- Overall Male and Female Winners and Masters Male and Female winners who have not broken the course record will receive a medal and a $50 cash award and $50 Running Etc gift card.
- The top 3 male and female finishers in each 10yr age group starting with age 10 to age 80yrs will receive Running Etc gift cards and a medal.
- No awards will be given in the 1 mile fun race category.
- Great race swag includes an awesome long sleeve “tech” running shirt and Runner’s belt waist pack (holds most standard phones or other similar items) for the first 250 at packet pick up.
This race is for everyone from elite runners to walkers. The CHAS Foundation will have members and material on site to explain how we are improving local mental health care with your support. Coffee and donuts will be served after the race!
Packet pick up:
Friday September 15th 3:15 to 6:00pm,
1707 Colley Ave., Norfolk, VA 23517
The CHAS Foundation 9th Annual 5k Race /
1 Mile Fun Run/Walk Sponsors
Dr. Mark Lawson’s Story: I have had many challenges in my life as a Naval Officer and physician but my greatest challenge was in trying to help my beautiful daughter cope with mental health issues. I was shocked how difficult it was in Tidewater to receive timely, adequate mental health care even as a member of the medical community. My daughter’s needs progressively escalated with much of the burden of caring for her mental illness falling on the family.
The anxiety and worry was crushing at times as we searched for the resources to help her get better. Even having excellent health insurance was of little help in getting the resources she needed. We lost this beautiful young lady on January 23, 2013 and have dedicated ourselves to the advancement of effective mental health care and improved mental health resources for patients and families in Tidewater. Being an avid runner, I thought putting on a charity race to raise funds for this cause was in order. Out of this personal loss has come The CHAS Foundation 5K Run and 1 Mile Fun Run/Walk. 100% of funds raised will go to supporting The CHAS Foundation and improved mental health care in Hampton Roads.
On October 18th 2015 the CHAS 5k race was born to support the running community and fundraise for The CHAS Foundation’s efforts to improve local mental health care. We are now in our 9th year and are excited to also offer a 1 mile fun run and walk to the program. We continue to attract elite runners from across Tidewater looking to break our 5K course records for monetary awards which adds to the fun. We continue to have a loyal and going number of business and personal sponsors powering the fundraising for this organization’s charitable efforts.